Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Library Day in the Life: Day 3

As promised, this post will be shorter than yesterday's, mainly because I don't have a lot of time to write this evening.

7:30 Wake up!

9:30-11:15 Doctor's appointment; arrived at library and chatted with my supervisor for a few minutes before heading up to my office.

11:30-12:30 Made a first pass at the daily slog through the email. One of the people I follow on Twitter retweeted a post from a person who has decided not to use email any more. This person is not employed at an institution as I am (he is an author) and as such can KILL HIS EMAIL. I am SO jealous!

12:30-1:00 Helped three colleagues get a classroom set up for a workshop they were coteaching. The first part of the class was an introduction to SnagIt, so we had to download and install a trial version of the software for every computer in the classroom.

1:00-2:00 Attended the above-mentioned workshop (which included pizza!), whose theme was Stuff We All Have but May Not Use. It was pretty interesting. I've used another piece of software named MWSnap (that's free) to do stuff like SnagIt will do, but it's not nearly as versatile as SnagIt. The workshop also included an introduction to MS Groove, which we all have a copy of as part of our institutional MS Office license agreement, but I had never heard of it or used it. Lastly, we had an introduction to our clicker software and hardware.

2:00-4:00 Again with the email and the slogging. I so wish I could make my email die. Also checked the library's Facebook and Twitter feeds and posted an update to each.

4:00-5:30 Met and brainstormed with two colleagues who are interested in all of us doing a research project together. I don't want to say too much about it because we are in the very, very early planning stages, but the project will involve (hopefully) social networking, engagement of users, and eventual publication in a peer-reviewed journal. I think it was a really positive start to what could be an awesome piece.

5:30-6:00 Wrote this update and am going to head home in a few, where I believe grilled burgers are on the menu tonight for the dear husband and me.

No comments: